We are looking for a Senior Organizer who will organize workers, employers and consumers in Washington, DC.
In addition to the above listed job duties and responsibilities, there are conditions and requirements which are essential for anyone occupying the post.
- Deep commitment to a vision of racial, gender and economic justice and to building progressive power.
- You have a minimum of 3 years successful organizing experience with a base building organization
- Must have a valid driver’s license and access to an operating car with insurance
- Strong written and verbal skills, and ability to listen.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Willingness to travel and work flexible hours required.
- Commitment to building progressive political power.
- Ability to work independently: Self-motivated
- Preferred: basic computer skills (word processing, spreadsheet & database, electronic communication, social media tools such as Twitter and Facebook)
- Commitment to building progressive power.
- Spanish fluency a plus.
- Staff/Leadership Development
- Recruit worker members and build their leadership through ROC’s job training institute, the COLORS Hospitality Opportunities for Workers (CHOW) Institute
- Recruit employer members and build their leadership through RAISE, ROC’s national restaurant association
- Build dues paying membership
- Work with ROC’s leaders, workers, restaurant owners and consumers to build skills and increase participation in ROC’s campaign
- Support DC leadership team to do house visits, general recruitment, turnout calls, power analysis, develop strategic tactics to move campaigns forward, and get earned media etc.
- Work with leadership/allies sharpen the racial and gender justice analysis and move key messages into campaign work.
- Campaign Development/Field Work
- Participate in campaign planning to move decision makers to support One Fair Wage
- Support DC leadership in implementing turnout and recruitment plans for events
- Participate in research activities as needed
- Affiliate Institution Building
- Work with ROC United Operations & Finance Director, DC Campaign Manager, and DC Affiliate Director to launch events in COLORS DC space, including consumer membership-building events and campaign events
Organizers are required to work long and irregular hours including work on weekends and on holidays as necessary. The work of an organizer necessitates flexibility as demands and priorities for a particular campaign or the overall organization shift. It is expected that organizers be available during the times that workers in their assigned area are available at their work site, home or other locale. You may be required to travel extensively.
- There will be an evaluation after the first month and then at the three and at a minimum an annual review will be done.
- Starting pay for Senior Organizer is based on experience
- Generous benefits, including health and dental coverage, 401(k) plan, paid vacation, personal days, and holidays.
Please send cover letter and resume detailing your qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please place the title of the position in the subject line of your email.
Immigrants, women, and people of color encouraged to apply. Restaurant Industry experience a plus.