Restaurant Opportunities Center of Miami (ROC-Miami)
Check us out on facebook!
WHO WE ARE: ROC-Miami is a member led local restaurant workers’ org founded in 2009 that has 500 restaurant worker members. We build power and voice for restaurant workers in three major ways:
1. Workplace Justice Campaigns – We support restaurant workers in the Miami area who face injustice in their workplace. For more information, please attend a regular orientation on:
Mondays from 1-2 pm
Tuesdays from 3:00-6:00 pm
Wednesdays from 11 am -2 pm
If you cannot attend during these times, please call us at (305) 672-8440 and we will be happy to meet with you at a time of your convenience.
2. Promoting the High Road to Profitability – We partner with responsible restaurant owners in the Miami area to promote best management practices. We also partner with them to offer our restaurant worker members with FREE restaurant training and job placement services. To help restaurant workers advance to livable wage jobs in the industry we offer the following classes:
Once a week for 8 consecutive weeks
- FOH 201 Introduction to bartending (starting the first week of May)
RSVP with Yesenia at firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Research & Policy work- We have conducted the most comprehensive research available on the Miami-Dade County restaurant industry. Our members were trained to conduct more than 580 surveys of their fellow workers. We also conducted more than 30 employer interviews. We published all of this information on our local policy report, Behind the Kitchen Door: Inequality and Opportunity in Miami-Dade County’s Growing Restaurant Industry.
Through this report, our members discovered that two priority issues for restaurant workers in the Miami area are the need to pass paid sick days and earn an increase the minimum wage. Join our Policy Committee by calling us (305) 672-8440.
4. Other services for members:
Becoming a member of ROC-Miami has its privileges, including:
- Free training classes
- Worker’s rights and organizing training
Other opportunities to get involved:
- Women’s Committee
- Job Training Committee
-Social Events Committee
- Policy Committee
To learn more, attend one of our new member orientations. Call us to find out when the next orientations are going to take place.
Phone: (305) 672-8440
Address: 945 Pennsylvania Ave. Suite 302, Miami Beach, FL 33139
Yaneth Lombana (Lead Coordinator) Email: email@example.com
Jean Souffrant (Research and Policy Organizer) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Yesenia Garcia (High Road Organizer) Email: email@example.com