(1) Become a full member.
If you live in a city where ROC has an affiliate, you have the opportunity to become a full member! Full members pay $5 in dues every month, and receive free job training and placement, legal and organizing support with regard to injustices on the job, leadership training, and much more. In some cities, they also have access to affordable primary health care through the ROC M.D. National Health Care Cooperative.
To get started, click on the page for your city under “ROC Local,” at the top right of the navigation menu to find out when new member orientations occur. If you can’t attend a new member orientation, call to set up an appointment with one of the staff or leaders.
(2) Sign up as an online member here. Online members:
- receive regular information and updates about ROC campaign
- access our legal referral network for problems on the job
- get involved with educating your elected officials on important issues, for example: the need for a raise to the tipped minimum wage
(3) Sign the petition to support Miller-Harkin Fair Minimum Wage Act.
This act raises the federal minimum wage from $7.25 to $10.10/hour over the next 3 years and the tipped minimum wage from $2.13 to 70% of the regular minimum wage.
(4) Start a ROC STAR in your community!
Any restaurant worker can apply to start a ROC STAR. If you are selected, at least one restaurant worker leader from your community will be flown to Chicago or Washington DC for training. ROC STARs eventually become full-fledged affiliates, so this will be the beginning of a growing movement of restaurant workers in your local community.
Email Jose Oliva to apply: Jose@RocUnited.org