WHO WE ARE: ROC-PA is a local restaurant workers’ org founded in 2011. We build power and voice for restaurant workers in three major ways:
I. Workplace Justice Campaigns – We support restaurant workers in the Philadelphia area whose face injustice in their restaurant workplace.
To sign up for our new member orientation call us at (215) 867-9747
II. Promoting the High Road to Profitability – We partner with responsible restaurant owners in Pennsylvania to promote best management practices. We also partner with them to offer our restaurant worker members with FREE restaurant training and job placement services, to help restaurant workers advance to livable wage jobs in the industry. We offer the following classes:
– Introduction to Fine Dining Service and Bartending
– English as a Second Language for Restaurant workers
To enroll in the classes, email Calvin@rocunited.org or call (215) 867-9747
III. Research & Policy work – In October 2012 we published the most comprehensive report ever conducted on Philadelphia’s restaurant industry. Our members surveyed over 500 of their co-workers, conducted 33 in-depth worker interviews and 30 in-depth employer interviews. We use this research to inform our worker-led policy initiatives, such as access to paid sick days, raising the minimum wage, and stopping wage theft in Philadelphia’s restaurant industry.
To join our worker-led policy committee, email firstname.lastname@example.org
IV. Other services for members:
Becoming a member of Philly-ROC has its privileges, including:
- Free fine dining, bartending and ESOL classes
- Resume building and job placement assistance
- Know Your Rights training sessions
- Leadership development and organizing training through our Leadership Institute
- Joining a restaurant worker policy committee to improve conditions in your industry
- Legal referrals if your rights are being violated at work
- Meeting restaurant workers from throughout Philadelphia
- and more!
1329 Buttonwood St.
Philadelphia, PA 19123
Contact: Samuel Jones