In line with our mission to raise industry standards, ROC NOLA offers Hospitality Opportunities for Workers (C.H.O.W.) Institute to provide our members with the opportunity to obtain living-wage jobs through our free job training classes in Front of the House Restaurant skills.
Our Front of House 101 (FOH 101) class began on July 6, 2013 with the enrollment of ten new students. The class is designed to teach the foundation one will need to become a fine dining server or bartender in the New Orleans metro area. Students will aquire the following skills:
- An understanding of roles in the restaurant as well as the fundamentals of table-side service in family style and fine-dining settings
- The basics of wine and wine service
- Different types of liquors, spirits, and cocktails
- Drink recipes for 30 different kinds of cocktails
- Bar set-up and equipment
- Table set-up and equipment
- How to take orders and run food
- Proper and professional customer service
Classes are twice a week for four weeks and are taught by an experienced service industry professional. Classes are held in an actual restaurant to provide hands on experience. Space for this class was graciously donated by Mia’s Balcony on 1622 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70130. Many thanks for Mia’s Balcony for supporting ROC NOLA and our members!
The next class we will offer is Advanced Bartending, beginning in mid-August 2013. Please contact our office for more information on enrollment. (504) 529-5654