WHO WE ARE: ROC-Chicago is a member led local restaurant workers’ organization founded in 2009 that has 700 (and counting!) restaurant worker members. We build power and voice for restaurant workers in three major ways:
1. Workplace Justice Campaigns – We support restaurant workers in the Chicago area who face injustice in their restaurant workplace. For more information, please attend a regular orientation on the following dates. If you cannot attend at the following dates and times, please call us at (312) 629-2892.
New Member Orientations: Monday at 2pm, Tuesday at 12pm or 5pm.
2. Promoting the High Road to Profitability – We partner with responsible restaurant owners in the Chicago area to promote best management practices. We also partner with them to offer our restaurant worker members with FREE restaurant training and job placement services, to help restaurant workers advance to livable wage jobs in the industry. We offer the following classes (call us for the schedule):
- Introduction to Customer Service
- Advanced Bartending
- Advanced Fine Dining Service
- English for Restaurant workers
3. Research & Policy work- We have conducted the most comprehensive research available on the local Chicago area restaurant industry. Our members were trained to conduct more than 588 surveys of their fellow workers. We also conducted more than 30 employer interviews. We published all of this information on our local policy report, Behind the Kitchen Door: The Hidden Costs of Low Road Jobs in Chicagoland’s Thriving Restaurant Industry.
Through this report, our members discovered that two priority issues for restaurant workers in the Chicago area is the need to both pass paid sick days and increase the statewide minimum wage. Join our Policy Committee by calling us (312) 629-2892.
Becoming a member of ROC-Chicago has its privileges, including:
- Free training classes
- Free industry Workshops
- Worker’s rights and organizing training
Other opportunities to get involved:
- Arts and Culture Committee
- Women’s Committee
- Training and Career Development Committee
- Policy Committee
To learn more, attend one of our new member orientations:
- Mondays at 2pm
– Tuesdays at 12pm and 5pm
Phone: (312) 629-2892
Address: 77 W. Washington Street, Suite 812 Chicago, IL 60602
Research & Policy Coordinator